About Beth Johnson,
LEED AP, EcoBroker Certified™,
Certified Green Professional™, NAR
- I'm proud to be the
- first REALTOR® on the planet to earn the green
credential “Quadruple Crown” of LEED AP, EcoBroker™ Certification®,
Certified Green Professional™, and NAR GREEN.
- first Texas REALTOR® (and only the 13th anywhere) to earn the
Accredited Professional credential associated with U.S. Green Building
Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Building
Rating System™, the nationally accepted benchmark for high performance
- first Texas REALTOR® to earn the nationally recognized EcoBroker®
Certification that provides training on energy and
environmental issues relating to real estate transactions.
- first North Texas REALTOR® (not
directly affiliated with a builder) specializing in green building.
- My added specialty is assisting "green"-leaning buyers and sellers:
- helping you to obtain the elements you want in a new green home (land,
architect, builder) or to compare the energy-efficiency and other
"green" features of existing homes on the market.
- helping you to properly market your home with green features to sell at highest price and fastest
- From typical properties to those with green features, as a
veteran full-service REALTOR® I enthusiastically handle the full
range of all types of residences, residential lots, and farm/ranch
land, providing savvy, excellent service grounded in expert
knowledge and experience in real estate and marketing. I pride
myself on diligence and meticulous attention to detail in furthering
my clients’ interests. Among my transactions:
- A quarter involve my getting the job done for my clients
after others have failed. I have successfully represented
sellers whose previous agent’s marketing and pricing strategies
failed to attract buyers, sellers whose “for-sale-by-owner”
process was unsuccessful, and buyers whose previous agent’s
knowledge, services, or diligence failed to meet needs.
- Half involve properties with significant green features or
green building program certifications.
- A quarter involve relatively standard properties bought or
sold by green-leaning clients who prefer to do business with an
agent who shares their values and brings added knowledge.
- A quarter involve typical cases where neither client nor
property has more than average green leanings.
- 60% are seller clients and customers I secured to buy their
- 34% are buyer clients.
- 6% are referrals where I help buyers or sellers find an
agent who’s a great fit in a market outside North Texas.
- I’ve done business in 9 North Texas counties at last count.
- A native North Texan, I’ve lived in 9
neighborhoods in 4 cities in 3 counties in North Texas (plus 2
cities in West Texas and Washington, D.C., as well as extended work
assignments elsewhere in Texas and in OR, KS, OK, AR, AL, KY). My
in-depth knowledge and insight from decades of living,
working, and investing throughout North Texas advantages my
- A proven, trusted professional, I am a
full-time real estate agent with 12+ years’
experience (20% greater than median experience level in the
business) and a college graduate (education level
greater than 69% of REALTOR®) as well as having
some graduate school (surpassing 94% of REALTOR®).
- I’m founder and principal of Smart Green Now Consulting.
- I am backed by the strength of Texas-based Keller Williams Realty --
#1 real estate franchise by world agent count and U.S.
annual closed units and sales volume -- and our
Dallas Preston Road office -- #1 producing real estate office
in the Metroplex. To learn more about Keller Williams Realty, please
- I have 29 years’ professional experience staffing Texas and national
environmental advocacy organizations --
- lobbying, media work, grassroots organizing and training
- in Texas, Southern Plains region, Washington, D.C., Oregon,
- I am the first REALTOR® to join U.S. Green Building Council's North TX
- A Founding Member and the only REALTOR®
to have served as a Director of the Home Builders
Association’s Green Built Texas Council, I helped
draft the Green Built Texas™ Program, chaired its inaugural year
Marketing Subcommittee, and served one of the longest tenures as
Director, helping lead the Council in its first 4 years.
- I served on the MetroTex Association of REALTORS® task force
that implemented a major green update to North Texas Multiple
Listing Service, Nov.-Dec. ’08.
- Green building, conservation development, and building science courses completed
include the first-ever "Green Building for Building
Professionals" course by National Association of Home
Builders (NAHB); first Board-offered green building
designation course by National Association of REALTORS (NAR);
U.S. Green Building Council's (USGBC)
"Technical Review: LEED for New Construction" and “LEED
for Homes Workshop”; “Building Science Fundamentals” by
Lstiburek and Straube of Building Science Corp.; Energy and
Environmental Building Alliance's (EEBA) "Houses That Work"
and "Selling High Performance Homes";
U. S Department of Energy / Dallas Builders Association
"Challenge Home and Net Zero Home" training; EcoBroker's
courses on energy efficiency, environmental issues, green
marketing; Austin Energy's "Green by Design" and
House Tour"; national home performance conferences by
NAHB, EEBA, RESNET
and Affordable Comfort Inc.; Realtors Land Institute's
"Creative Land Planning";
Conservation Development Symposium sponsored by Lady Bird
Johnson Wildflower Center including subdivision design workshop and
field trip to 2,000-acre development with 75% protected open space;
Energy Efficient Green Building Institute's "Residential Building
Performance Technician" (3
credit courses), "Secrets of a Texas Net Zero Home" and
"Healthy Home" by award-winning builder Jim Sargent,
Interiors"; numerous green building, marketing, and
interior design classes and
presentations at Dallas Builders Association.
- My firm became the nation’s first real estate agency to show our
commitment to energy efficiency by joining Residential Energy Services
Network (RESNET), the national organization that sets standards for quality of
energy rating services and annually hosts the premier national forum on
home energy performance and financing.
- Arthur Kuehne and I built our own green
home as an educational catalyst illustrating mainstream greenbuilding.
- I am a frequent speaker and
media source on residential
- As a licensed real estate agent committed to continuing and up-to-date education to serve my clients at
the highest level in the ever-changing real estate market, I have completed
570 hours in more than 80
courses accredited by Texas Real Estate Commission and/or National Association of REALTORS®, in addition to
the greenbuilding-related courses mentioned above. This level of
knowledge and professionalism goes far
beyond that required for obtaining and maintaining a license and
far beyond that of most agents. In addition
to courses related to skill and excellence in the well-rounded practice of real estate representation and
required legal and ethics updates, in-depth/multi-day specialty courses I’ve completed include:
- Accredited Luxury Home Specialist two-day designation course
- Realtors Land Institute’s Accredited Land
Consultant courses (five days) on Site Selections and Land Fundamentals
- Historic House Specialist
two-day designation course by Preservation Dallas
- Accredited Buyer Representative two-day course
- Senior Real Estate Specialist two-day designation course
- Real Estate Appraisal five-day course
- Loan Applications and Procedures five-day course
- Short Sales and Foreclosures one-day designation
To see the full list of real estate courses I’ve completed, see the TREC page
(From this page, you may also search to compare the education completed by any other licensee.)
ADDITIONAL EDUCATION / PERSONAL NOTES
- B.A. with honors, Texas Tech University, 1976
- Honors graduate, South Garland High School, 1971
- Teaching certification at secondary level; student teaching in
Mexico; volunteer tutor to English-as-Second-Language students in
- Extensive experience as researcher, author, editor, and proofreader
for Texas and national nonprofits
- Author, Yukon Wild: The Adventures of Four Women Who Paddled 2,000
Miles through America’s Last Frontier (Berkshire Traveller Press, 1984)
- In 1982, I led first women’s expedition in muscle-powered craft down
Canada’s and Alaska’s Yukon River—a 76-day, 2000-mile canoe trip by four
Texas women. For some photos and captions,
- I have canoed, kayaked and rafted more than 7,000 miles throughout
North America and spent about 400 (including 50 solo) overnights on
- In 2003, to celebrate a milestone birthday, my husband and I drove
13,000 miles round trip on a 7-week truck-camping trip to the Arctic Ocean, and I flew with three
companions in a bush plane deep into the world’s northernmost major
mountain range and canoed for a month above the Arctic Circle on a trip
I organized within the heart of one of the world’s largest parkland
areas and finest remaining vast wilderness areas. We canoed America’s
longest designated Wild River segment and the longest floatable mileage
of any American Arctic river--400+ miles down Alaska’s Noatak River from
near its source in Gates of the Arctic National Park, through Noatak
National Preserve, to its mouth at Chukchi Sea tidewater on Alaska’s
west coast. For some photos and captions,
In 2013, to celebrate another milestone birthday,
we experienced the Lower 48’s quintessential
river adventure—floating close to 300
miles and approximately 200 named rapids of the famed Colorado River
through the mile-deep Grand Canyon, at 25 times the gradient of the
Mighty Mississippi. We
chose the longest commercially outfitted trip available—18 days. We chose the exciting, “lively” ride of the smallest commercial
craft allowed in the Grand Canyon--historic, elegant, 17-foot-long
hard-hulled, hand-crafted dories. For some photos and captions,
Other outdoor and travel experiences include a 3-month, 8,500 mile
solo van-camping trip in the US and Canada; a 5-day, 225-mile bike
ride across Missouri on America's longest rail-trail; two 6-week
Spanish-only educational stays with Mexican families in Mexico; a
6-week course traveling by public transportation 5,000 miles
throughout Mexico to dozens of
archaeological sites; a 3-week, 8-country self-funded trip throughout
Europe at age 16.
- Organizing schools attended: Midwest Academy, IL, 1994; Highlander
Research and Education Center, TN, 1993; Campaigns and Elections,
Washington, D.C., 1990.